Papercraft Objects - Basic Forms

This week, we are continuing our exploration into Rhinoceros and learning to unfold meshes into 2D plans for papercraft. Our homework challenges us to take simple 3D forms in Rhino and unfold them into their 2D nets.

Having used Rhino before, I didn't have many problems with the technical side of this project. I mostly focused on optimizing my workflow and finding better ways to do things. The main problem I encountered was non-planar surfaces caused by the loft tool. I fixed these by making smaller triangular surfaces in their place. This method gives me a decent amount of control over the final product, but I am still trying to find a more efficient way of doing it.

My process for unfolding these objects went as follows. First, I would make the object itself using simple tools and shapes.


After aligning a surface to the ground plane, we simply rotate the pieces out section by section to create flat forms along the ground plane.


Once completed, this sphere becomes a series of strips that fold together into a rounded shape.


As part of our greater papercraft project, we are supposed to use this project as an opportunity to brainstorm ideas for our final piece. Our final item must be an object that is important to us in some way. Here are a few objects important to me that I decided to explore as simplified 3D forms.

1. Camera

It's overdone, but I had to include my camera here. I love taking photos and I love traveling, so my camera is very important to me. I also have memory problems after a head injury, so I love to document everything I do so I can look back on it and never forget a thing.




2. Sewing Machine

Sewing is what originally got me into cosplay, which has become a huge part of my life. I've won awards across North America for my sewing! My sewing machine is very important to me, but personally I find it a bit boring as an object.





3. Stuffed Dog

I have a LOT of stuffed animals - I have kept any from my childhood with sentimental value, and somehow still keep collecting more. I have a ton of stuffed dogs, especially huskies, because I have two huskies as pets. I chose to limit myself to just the head in order to save time.




4. Stuffed Penguin

One of the last times I ever saw my father he bought me a small stuffed penguin toy. In terms of important objects, I'd say that rates pretty highly on my list!





5. Dress Form

As a seamstress, having a dress form is essential. I have a big fancy adjustable one of my own and it makes tailoring garments incredibly easy. It's also a great representation of my sewing and cosplay hobbies.

This form caused me the most trouble to make, as the loft tool wasn't able to make any planar surfaces for me. I ended up making all of these little triangles by hand because I couldn't find a better way to do it in the time I had.




6. Tamagotchi

I was OBSESSED with these things as a kid. As new ones came out I collected them all until I had a big collection. I still have most of them!





7. Octopus Toy

I collect octopus things, so I figured I would include one on this list! The octopus is my favorite animal and I've been collecting all kinds of sculptures, jewelry, toys and even clothing for years. I felt a stuffed toy would make the best papercraft object. As before, I chose to only do a small part to save time.





8. Globe

I adore traveling, so a globe would be a perfect object for me. I'd love to try to make it into a lamp so I can poke holes into the places I've been and have them glow! Maybe I could even figure out some kind of acrylic posts that glow like little fiber optic beacons.




9. Speaker

As just about everyone else does, I love listening to music. So here's a speaker!



I have no idea why this one is grey and not white. I could not figure it out.


10. Nail Polish

I originally began painting my nails as a way to discourage myself from picking at my hands with anxiety. Over time, I got really into doing all kinds of fun nail art and I even give my friends manicures! I've never really been much of a "girly girl," but I have to make an exception for nail polish.