Hollow Form Objects - Idea Generation



This week we began a new project: Hollow form objects. Our objective is to make an object with a partner that we will 3D print. Our restrictions include having the object be self supporting with no infill, and using only a single perimeter to print it.

Personally, I really enjoy the sharp geometric or mathematical shapes that 3D modeling and 3D printers can easily make. I find organic forms, although harder to 3D model, to be a bit boring in this medium. Inspired by the geometric forms on our class pages, I jumped right into making a bunch of random shapes and finding new ways to extrude, loft, twist and otherwise manipulate them into fun forms.

1.

I'm not sure if I'd be able to use bridging to put that pyramid on top, but I think it would be interesting to try!

 2.

I really like making twisty things. I'm worried some of these angles might be too steep, though.

 3.

 4.

 5.

6.

I think this one is my favorite so far, aesthetically speaking.

7.

8.

9.

10.



I found that in the end, I was really drawn to hollow shapes with repeated and twisted elements, like the last few I did above. I think these would be very cool to make on a 3D printer to show off its capabilities. Before 3D printed art, this kind of effect would be very hard to achieve, and I think that's what makes me drawn to it.